What Is Toenail Fungus
Toenail fungus is usually an infection of the toenail caused by opportunistic fungi, explains Oliva. It may cause your nail to turn a yellow or white hue, thicken, or crumble at the outer edges.
While toenail fungus can occur in people of all ages, board-certified dermatologist Marie Hayag, MD, says that its most common in older folks. As the nail ages, it is prone to becoming brittle and dry, which can result in cracks in the nails that make it susceptible to fungal infections, she explains, noting that all of the aforementioned causes can be even more of a concern as a result.
Meet the Expert
- , MD, is a board-certified dermatologist practicing in Manhattan. She is an assistant clinical professor at Mount Sinai Hospital and also teaches in the Dermatology Departments surgery clinic.
- Francisco Oliva, DPM, is a Miami-based podiatrist who has been in private practice for 25+ years.
Nevertheless, because developing a toenail fungus can occur at all ages, we reveal the best ways to treat toenail fungus at home, below.
How To Treat Toenail Fungus
You can use simple home remedies to get rid of toenail fungus, or a podiatrist can take care of toenail fungus, particularly if it is caught early.
Topical or oral treatments can also work on toenail fungus, as well as the removal of the infected nail. A temporary removal can work to treat the area, but a permanent removal so that the bad nail wont grow back can also be performed.
Home Remedies For Foot Fungus Between Toes
The symptoms of foot fungus include swelling, inflammation, thickening, yellowing or crumbling of the nail. There are various home remedies for dealing with foot fungus. Do you want to know which home remedy will help you treat of foot fungus between toes? If your answer is Yes, then you should read this writing. In this article, VKool.com will show you top 7 home remedies for foot fungus between toes. The writing is collected from reliable sources. However, it is not intended to give medical advice and it is solely for the informational purpose. Keep reading this writing to understand more!
Don’t Miss: Can You Sue A Nail Salon For Fungus
What Causes Foot Fungus
The causes of both types of foot fungus are:
Athletes Foot- This condition is caused by the dermatophyte fungi, namely, T. rubrum, Epidermophyton floccosum, and T. interdigitale. However, there is a non-dermatophyte fungus named Tricholosporum violaceum, which is also responsible for the athletes foot.
Onychomycosis- The real culprits behind onychomycosis are Trichophyton rubrum, T. interdigitale, Candida albicans, and Scopulariopsis brevicaulis. These are dermatophytes, yeasts, and molds.
Effective Home Remedies For Skin Fungus That Will Surprise You
Do you know that there are millions of fungi on earth? You might find this fact troubling when you know that some fungi can cause deadly diseases. Fortunately for us, only about 300 can make you ill.
However, skin fungi infections are common, because the fungi live in the soil, on the trees/plants, and even on our skin. Yes, thats right. Tiny microorganisms are living on your skin, as you read this article, and its completely normal.
Nevertheless, these tiny microorganisms can cause a lot of troubles and discomfort when their numbers grow. Usually, doctors prescribe topical antifungal medication. But thats not your only option, because you can employ some tested home remedies for skin fungus that will take care of the problem as fast as prescribed lotions.
Whats more, they are easy to prepare, and you have most of the ingredients at home. So, if youre interested in learning five home remedies for skin fungi, dont hesitate to keep on reading.
Well start by explaining what the most common types of fungus are and what symptoms to look for if we suspect a fungus infection.
Depending on the type of fungus, we have different skin infections:
Don’t Miss: How Does Vicks Work On Toenail Fungus
Best Product To Prevent Athletes Foot
The Strategist is designed to surface the most useful, expert recommendations for things to buy across the vast e-commerce landscape. Some of our latest conquests include the best acne treatments, rolling luggage, pillows for side sleepers, natural anxiety remedies, and bath towels. We update links when possible, but note that deals can expire and all prices are subject to change.
Every editorial product is independently selected. If you buy something through our links, New York may earn an affiliate commission.
Natural Ways To Defeat Toenail Fungus
Dont let this sometimes painful condition sideline you. Treat it early with these easy, natural solutions.
The showers at the local gym may have left you with an unwelcome gift: onychomycosis, otherwise known as nail fungus. Or maybe its a souvenir from a barefoot run or just a sign that you arent changing your running socks often enough. Although it starts innocuously enough, as a white or yellow spot underneath your toenail, the nail can start to thicken and even crumble as the fungus penetrates deeper and deeper. And, while it can can appear on your fingers, the fungus is more likely to appear and persist in your toenails because of the warm, moist environment of your shoes, where these little buggers can thrive, and unfortunately, where its most likely to affect your running.
If you see a dermatologist, youll most likely get a prescription for an antifungal oral medication such as Lamisil or Sporanox, which tend to be expensive and carry side effects ranging from skin rashes to potentially toxic liver damage. Thats not pleasant, which is why so many people look for a drug-free alternative, says Joe Graedon, MS, a pharmacologist at the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy at Chapel Hill and author of The Peoples Pharmacy. There are newer topical treatments, such as Kerydin, but they also require a prescription and can take up to a year to work. Here are some of Graedons top drug-free remedies for toenail fungus.
Recommended Reading: Does Salt Water Help Toenail Fungus
Additional Tips To Get Rid Of Foot Fungus:
- Wear a waterproof and clean pair of flip flop in the moist areas.
- Clean your foot with soapy water before going to bed.
- Always keep your foot clean and dry.
- Do not walk barefoot in the common areas.
- Do not take any beauty treatment until the symptoms are gone completely.
- Avoid prolonged exposure to the moisture and dampness.
- Avoid heat environment that will generate sweating.
- Wear loose and open-toed shoes.
- Maintain a healthy diet to strengthen your immune system.
All these home remedies are effective and can help you to get rid of the foot fungus within a couple of weeks. But if the symptoms persist more than fifteen days, it is better to take a medical help to cure the foot fungus. Otherwise, it can be more irritating and infectious.
Use Garlic And Vinegar To Treat Athletes Foot Fungus Between Toes And Other
The use of fresh cloves of garlic and vinegar for foot fungus on heel and athletes foot between toes is one of the best home remedies for how to get rid of foot fungus.
How to use?
- Cut the cloves of garlic and grind the chopped pieces into a paste
- Add three tablespoons of white vinegar to the garlic pieces and place the mixture in an airtight jar
- Let the mixture settle for about a few hours
- Smear your feet with the mixture
- Wrap the feet with a sterile gauze to preserve the mixture for a longer time
- Let the mixture percolate into your epidermis for about 3-4 hours
- Do this twice or thrice a day for the natural cure of athletes foot fungus
Don’t Miss: Can Toenail Fungus Go Away On Its Own
Question 6 Of : What Natural Options Treat Foot Fungus
How To Make A Vinegar Foot Soak
We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Heres our process.
Fortunately, theres a simple solution to your woes, and it can be found in your kitchen.
Don’t Miss: Does A Dermatologist Treat Nail Fungus
Do Vinegar Soaks Help Toe Fungus
In short, there is a lot of anecdotal evidence to suggest vinegar foot soaks can help you to get rid of fungal toenail infections over time and with repeated use.
However, there is no concrete clinical evidence to suggest that vinegar will definitely work, though some users do report that the treatment can work on mild cases of fungal infections. It is also a low-risk treatment, so it is unlikely to cause you any harm if you do decide to test out this home remedy.
Usually, your doctor will recommend using medication to treat toe fungus rather than relying on a home remedy.
There are two main types of medical treatment that are normally recommended for fungal nail infections: nail paints and tablets.
Amorolfine nail paint is available from our online pharmacy for the topical treatment of fungal toenail infections. The antifungal nail paint works by stopping the growth of fungus that causes infections. It also breaks down the fungi cells and removes the fungus as the nail grows out. Amorolfine is the cheaper generic version of the branded Curanail antifungal treatment.
Antifungal tablets like Terbinafine also treat fungal nail infections but have to be prescribed by a GP or nurse and may require an initial blood test before you start treatment.
Home Remedies: Foot Fungal Infections
Athlete’s foot is a fungal infection that usually begins between the toes. It commonly occurs in people whose feet have become very sweaty while confined within tight-fitting shoes.
Athlete’s foot is closely related to other fungal infections such as ringworm and jock itch. It can be treated with over-the-counter antifungal medications, but the infection often recurs. Prescription medications also are available.
Athlete’s foot usually causes a scaly red rash. The rash typically begins in between the toes. Itching is often the worst right after you take off your shoes and socks. Some types of athlete’s foot feature blisters or ulcers. The moccasin variety of athlete’s foot causes chronic dryness and scaling on the soles that extends up the side of the foot. It can be mistaken for eczema or even as dry skin. The infection can affect one or both feet and can spread to your hand especially if you scratch or pick at the infected parts of your feet.
Athlete’s foot is caused by the same type of fungus that causes ringworm and jock itch. Damp socks and shoes and warm, humid conditions favor the organisms’ growth.
These tips can help you avoid athlete’s foot or ease the symptoms if infection occurs:
Also Check: How To Identify Fungus On Trees
Use Epsom Salt To Cure Foot Fungus
- Image: Shutterstock
Rinsing the feet in Epsom salt bath is suitable for how to get rid of foot fungus treatment at home.
How to use?
- Fill a tub with lukewarm water and pour in a cup of Epsom salt to the water
- Bathe your feet in the Epsom salt solution for about half an hour
- Do this twice daily for the cure of athletes foot fungus
Benefits of Epsom salt
Epsom salt exfoliates the skin, eliminates the foul odor and cures the infection in just a week.
Using Coconut Oil Against A Fungal Skin Infection
The fatty acids in coconut oil can have important benefits for the skin. For example, a study published in the Journal of Medicinal Food suggests that it has antimicrobial and antifungal properties. So, you can use it to fight infections.
- To take advantage of its benefits, use it on the affected areas two or three times a day.
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Fungus In Garden
How To Prevent Skin Fungi
Of course, you might employ some preventive measures to ensure that your skin remains free of fungi. Here are some useful tips:
- Wash your feet every day to keep them clean, especially between the toes
- Do not walk barefoot in public places.
- Choose cotton/woolen socks so that your feet dont get too sweaty.
- You can apply powder to prevent excessive sweating on your body
- Make sure that the skin around the genitals is dry and clean.
- Change your underwear often if you sweat a lot.
- Avoid tight-fitting clothes.
How Do You Get Rid Of Athlete’s Foot Fast
Athletes foot is caused by a variety of fungi belonging to a group of fungi called dermatophytes, which also causes ringworm and jock itch. Rarely, an athletes foot may be caused by non dermatophytes infection, such as yeast . Athlete’s foot usually begins between the toes, presenting with a scaly rash associated with itching, stinging, and burning. Athlete’s foot is contagious and spreads through contaminated floors, towels, shoes, socks, or other clothing. With appropriate treatment, most cases of athletes foot, clear up within 2 weeks.
Read Also: How To Eliminate Nail Fungus
You Can Also Follow Certain Precautions To Prevent Or Treat Fungal Infections:
- Always wear clean clothes since since fungal spores can stick to clothing for a long time, especially when it is unwashed.
- Avoid using harsh detergents to clean clothes.
- Avoid wearing clothes that are too tight since these can reduce airflow to your skin and increase local sweating, which together will increase the risk of fungal infection. Prefer breathable cotton clothes.
- Avoid scratching the affected area as it can worsen the infection and also increase the chances of spreading.
- Wash the affected area at least 2 to 3 times a day, as mentioned earlier, this can control and manage the intensity of the fungal growth.
- Keep the affected area as dry as possible, the less moisture the lower chance for the fungus to grow.
What Is Foot Fungus And Symptoms
Foot fungus, a discomforting and aesthetically unpleasing superficial fungal infection that affects the nails and skin of the foot. There are two types of foot fungus, i.e., Onychomycosis and Athletes foot/foot ringworm both are highly contagious and have different symptoms.
- Nails look warped and discolored
- Fetid odor from nails
- Nails surface feel dry and gritty
- Crumbled, ragged, and weak toenails
- Raw and dry skin on the sides of your feet
- Itching, burning, chapping skin, and scaly red rash among the toes
- Painful blisters on the foot
Recommended Reading: How To Heal Fungus Nails
Apple Cider Vinegar Kills Fungi
One of the most efficient and easy to use remedy for various skin condition is apple cider vinegar. It has powerful antifungal properties, which will kill off the microorganisms and stop their growth.
If youre wondering why is that, I can tell you that ACV contains acidic acid, which will restore the natural PH levels of your skin and get rid of the overgrowth of bacteria and fungi.
Whats more, apple cider vinegar contains pectin, which has many health benefits for your body, including promoting the growth of good bacteria.
Notes: Apple cider vinegar might cause burning at the beginning. If you have sensitive skin, you should never use it undiluted. You can also add two tablespoons of vinegar to warm water and drink the solution daily.
Ask A Doctor Online And Get Answers In Minutes Anytime
Have medical questions? Keep asking questions to a Verified Expert until you get the answer you need.
It is clear to understand that with the conditions and displeasure already indicated, the urge to get the solution for foot fungus is important. How good it is, this can easily be dealt with by home remedies. The findings below are top 13 home remedies for foot fungus that work naturally.
III. 13 Best Home Remedies For Foot Fungus That Work Naturally
A. For Athletes Foot
1. Home Remedies For Foot Fungus Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a disinfectant by nature that is beneficial for treating conditions of foot fungus because of its antiseptic compounds . Additionally, the antifungal use of tea tree oil also prevents the increase of the level of the infection to other areas of the human body.
How to do
- Balance the percentage of pure tea tree oil and olive oil or almond oil which are used and then stir them together. Use this mixture for the infected skin areas for a few times per day.
- Make a paste with the rate of ¾ tea tree oil and ¼ of aloe vera oil. Apply this solution on the infected skin areas at least two times per day.
It is recommended to use these solutions for a couple of weeks.
Note: Tea tree oil is not allowed during pregnancy
2. Home Remedies For Foot Fungus Coconut Oil
How to do
3. Home Remedies For Foot Fungus Apple Cider Vinegar
How to do
Any of the above remedies will be very helpful killing the infection.
How to do
How to do
How to do
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Otc Toenail Fungus Medicine