Follow These Guidelines To Help Keep Your Toenails Healthy:
- Wash your feet with soap and water and dry them thoroughly after swimming.
- Wear shower shoes in locker rooms and public areas.
- Wear shoes that fit well and are made of breathable materials.
- Remove wet or damp socks or shoes as soon as possible and dry your feet.
- Disinfect nail clippers and home pedicure tools.
- Avoid applying polish to infected nails.
Symptoms Of Toenail Fungus
- White or yellow streaks in the nail due to candida
- Broken, brittle, thickened nails
- Itching, stinging, and burning sensation in the toes
Undoubtedly, anybody who has foot fungus is looking for an answer to the question, How to get rid of foot fungus? Fortunately, there are various simple home remedies to treat this condition.
Check Your Immune System
If you do all this stuff for six months and you still have fungus then you should probably go see your doctor and get some labs checked and see whats up with your immune system. Because if you fixed your diet and youre getting sun on those toes and youre doing the soaks.
Your immune system should really be stronger because of the low-carb healthy fat diet fighting from the inside. Then you fix the outside environment, that should fix the fungus and you may have an immune issue if you still have fungus after six months of this routine.
You May Like: How Does Vicks Work On Toenail Fungus
How Do I Know If I Have Toenail Or Foot Fungus
Toenail fungus, also know as onychomcosis, is characterized by inflammation, thickening, swelling, yellowing, and pain of the toenail and toe. Another symptom is crumbling of the toenail. Its caused by an abnormal PH of the skin, which can happen because of poor hygiene, a bad immune system, exposure to high levels of moisture, and/or poor circulation. These toenail fungus treatments will prevent or get rid of the problem.
Q How To Cure Toenail Fungus With Hydrogen Peroxide
Ans-Hydrogen peroxide is a much safer way than bleach to cure toenail fungus. All you need to do is add some hydrogen peroxide in a tub half-filled with lukewarm water that is readily available at any store and soak the feet for 5-10 minutes. Repeat once a day.
Soon youll get effective results, and it is also helpful to cure calluses and prevent athletes foot infection.
Recommended Reading: How To Destroy Toenail Fungus
Keep Your Toe Nails Trimmed Neatly
Next is keep your toe nails trimmed neatly but dont trim around the corners. Dont ever dig and try to dig the fungus out. All you going to do is increase your risk of an infection and it can be quite a serious infection. sometimes youll get an ingrown toenail from that so dont do that. Just trim them straight across. keep them neat.
Ways To Safely Treat Toenail Fungus At Home
Stocksy/Design by Cristina Cianci
Toenail fungus sounds funky, but believe it or not, its much more common than you think. Thats because the pesky foot issuewhich most often presents as yellowing, cracking, and thickening of the nailscan be caused by everything from slower-growing nails and excessive sweating to athletes foot and walking barefoot in communal areas such as pools, shower rooms, gyms, and the like.
Most infections are caused by tinea species, but can involve harder-to-treat species of dermatophytes,” says Francisco Oliva, DPM. He adds that infections usually occur when theres a combination of issues affecting the toenail. Sometimes there is an injury to the nail at some point, he explains. The effects can be delayed for months and years. Once the fungus invades the nail, the keratin layer of the nail becomes a difficult barrier to penetrate.
You May Like: What Does Lawn Fungus Look Like
Wash With Antifungal Cleanser
Antifungal washes, such as Nizoral, can help dry, scaly moccasin type foot fungus, Rodney says. Gently lather it onto the entire feet, let sit for 15 minutes, then rinse off with water, she adds. As it is a wash, the medication can penetrate through all the dry, scaly skin and easily get to the fungus.
Healthy Now Newsletter
Tips To Speed Your Cure And To Prevent Reoccurrence
One way to assure you have figured out how to get rid of toenail fungus for good is having a preventative mindset. Do you go to the pool on a regular basis? What kind of foot wear do you have for the pool? Here are a few more ideas to consider:
Treating Shoes One area many people overlook in the treatment plan is their shoes. Fungi love dark, damp places, which means the interior of the common shoe is like a 5-star hotel! Reduce the temptation to set up residence by cleaning your footwear consistently while you are undergoing treatment. You can purchase commercial sprays or simply create your own with household vinegar.
Replacing Shoes It could be time to replace your practically threadbare sneakers. They may be the most comfortable pair of shoes you have ever owned but they probably house a host of fungi. Choose well fitted shoes that breathe.
Socks Consider spritzing your socks with a vinegar solution before tossing them in the laundry, particularly if laundry day is 24 or more hours away.
Foot Care Pay special attention to your feet, keep them dry, toenails clipped, clean and filed. We can take our feet for granted sometimes, so take a few extra minutes after your shower or before bed to take care of them. Be especially mindful if you have an injured toenail as this is a prime way for fungus to enter.
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Tree Fungus Naturally
Don’t Miss: How To Cure Foot Nail Fungus
Is Nail Fungus Easily Treatable
Toenail fungus infections often require diligent treatment to be successful. Early-stage toenail fungus may respond to home treatments, such as those listed below. Apply the treatment to the affected nail several times daily you may need to treat for six months or more to clear the infection as it takes 6-12 months for a full nail to grow out.
Over-the-counter treatments for toenail fungus include creams, ointments, sprays and liquids. Ask your pharmacist for a recommendation or look for these ingredients, and follow the directions carefully:
Laser treatment for fungal nail infections is the newest treatment option, though it has now been available for many years. It has shown significantly higher success rates and has been the delight of many patients. It should be noted that there are two variations of laser available, hot and cold laser, and its important to know the difference.
How Much Does Hydrogen Peroxide Cost With Insurance
You will not have a copay for Hydrogen Peroxide because it is not usually covered by insurance. Currently, however, you will pay only $3.05 for Hydrogen Peroxide with a SingleCare savings card and a prescription for Hydrogen Peroxide. SingleCare is welcomed at major pharmacies throughout the nation, including Target, Walmart, and Harris Teeter.
Read Also: Does Alcohol Kill Toenail Fungus
How To Get Rid Of Foot Fungus: 12 Simple Home Remedies
The health of your feet matters, just like any other part of your body.Skin fungal infections, which include athletes foot, jock itch, ringworm, and yeast infections, are very common.
If you have foot fungus, do not let it take over your health. Learn how to get rid of it by reading on.
Foot fungus is extremely contagious, thriving in warm, moist environments such as shoes, socks, swimming pools, locker rooms, and the floors of public showers.
This article will discuss the various ways to get rid of foot fungus.
> > > Best Toe Fungus Treatment Available
Topical Therapy How To Get Rid Of Toe Fungus At Home
Topical therapies are much safer, but also much less effective and sometimes quite expensive. Popular prescription topicals include Ciclopirox laquer , Carmol® 40 and Keralac® Nail Gel. Dont expect miracles from these medications, but they can help decrease discoloration and thickness, prevent progression and are a great adjunct therapy. How To Get Rid Of Toe Fungus At Home
Over The Counter and Home Remedies
1. Place an anti-fungal powder or spray in the shoes every other day.
2. Make sure you rotate your shoes often and keep them in a cool dry place. Use a shoe dryer in the winter if necessary.
3. Change your insoles frequently, and make sure they dry out between use. How To Get Rid Of Toe Fungus At Home
4. Try using an antiperspirant spray on your feet before your workout, if your feet sweat excessively.
5. Wash your shower mat regularly in hot water, or step out of the shower, onto a towel, which is washed after each use.
6. Bleach out the shower on a weekly basis. Bleach works better than antimicrobial cleaners.
7. Make sure your shoes fit well. Ill-fitting shoes can lead to jamming at the toes. Jamming at the toes leads to microtrauma at the nails and increases the chance for fungal infection.
8. If you belong to a gym or health club, wear sandals in the locker room and dont walk around barefoot. Dont keep your shoes in the gym locker where they cannot dry out. How To Get Rid Of Toe Fungus At Home
Recommended Reading: Do Over The Counter Nail Fungus Treatments Work
What Is Toenail Fungus Exactly
Toenail fungus happens when tiny microscopic organisms called fungi get underneath your toenails, causing an infection, according the American Academy of Dermatology .
Not-so-fun fact: The same fungus that causes jock itch and athletes foot can also cause toenail fungus, which can infect your nails and the skin underneath, says Gary Goldenberg, MD, assistant clinical professor of dermatology at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York.
Depending on the type of fungus youre dealing with, an infection can cause a slew of unpleasant symptoms, including:
- Nail discoloration
- Debris buildup underneath the nail
- Lifting of the nail from the skin
- Nail thickening or crumbling
- Nail thinning or splitting
Toenail fungus is highly contagious and, if you have a fungal infection on your foot, the fungus can spread to one or more of your nails.
Blends Of Essential Oils
The essential oils are very effective in treating toenail fungus. There are several essential oils from tea tree oil to jojoba oil you can pick any oil you like. Mix it with a carrier oil, apply it every day and wait for the results. Essential oils can be harsh on the skin, but the best part is the moisture, the moisture that will keep the toenail nourished throughout the treatment.
Recommended Reading: Does Laser Treatment Work For Nail Fungus
Natural Remedies For Fungal Nail Infections
Nail fungus remedies are sometimes used to treat fungal infections in the toenails or fingernails. Also referred to as onychomycosis, nail fungus is often difficult to treat with conventional medicine. But while natural nail fungus remedies are widely used, there is very little scientific support for their effectiveness.
To date, very few studies have tested the use of natural nail fungus remedies. Heres a look at some natural substances often recommended in the treatment of nail fungus.
This photo contains content that some people may find graphic or disturbing.
Dont Miss: What Works Best For Nail Fungus
The Danger Of Waiting To Treat The Fungus
The greatest danger of not treating the foot or toenail fungus is that it can spread to other parts of the body, such as the hands and groin.
If for some reason you cant treat your toenails or your feet right away, at least use an antifungal topical cream on the surrounding skin, Dr. Ng says. That will help keep it from spreading and keep the skin intact.
Don’t Miss: Does Emuaid Cure Toenail Fungus
A Pharmacist Can Help With Fungal Nail Infections
Speak to a pharmacist if the look of your nail bothers you or it’s painful.
They may suggest:
- antifungal nail cream it can take up to 12 months to cure the infection and does not always work
- nail-softening cream it’s used for 2 weeks to soften the nail so the infected part can be scraped off
The infection is cured when you see healthy nail growing back at the base.
Causes Of Toenail Fungus
- Onychomycosis stems from a number of fungal pathogens, primarily a certain group of fungi known as dermatophytes. Other relatively less common carriers of this infection are yeast and mold.
- Your susceptibility to this type of infection increases with age as older people tend to have increasingly brittle and dry nails that may allow the fungus to slip in through the cracks.
- Direct skin-to-skin contact with people grappling with fungal infections like athletes foot or ringworm on their hands can transmit the fungus onto you, paving the way for a toenail infection.
- A warm, moist environment such as a pool deck or a locker room provide the ideal breeding grounds for these infection-causing fungi. Therefore, people who walk barefoot in such areas tend to pick up this infection quite easily.
- Another common way of catching a fungal nail infection is by sharing an infected nail clipper or towel.
- Moreover, people who are prone to having moisture-ridden nails or often wear sweaty socks and shoes are increasingly predisposed to getting a fungal nail infection all by themselves.
You May Like: What To Put On A Toe Fungus
Complications Regarding Toenail Fungus
Toenail fungal infections are typically painless or at least start off that way. But without proper self-care and treatment, the condition can spiral into a more severe case of nail fungus, which can be painful and may cause irretrievable damage to your nails.
Moreover, the toenail infection can sprout other serious infections that can spread beyond your feet, particularly if you have a suppressed immune system due to certain medications, diabetes, or other conditions.
Because people with diabetes are already predisposed to reduced blood circulation and nerve supply in their feet, their odds for catching toenail infections as well as bacterial skin infection are quite high.
Thus, it is imperative for people with diabetes to seek professional medical help for any seemingly minor foot injury including a nail fungal infection to avoid any future complications.
Q What Are The Types Of Toenail Fungus
- Distal subungual onychomycosis is the most basic type of toenail fungus, and the signs include discolouration of the nails.
- White superficial onychomycosis: the symptoms start from nails discolouration and brittle nails.
- Proximal subungual onychomycosis: white spots appear in the nail and move outward and mostly occur in people with HIV or weak immunity.
- Candidal onychomycosis: the nails become inflamed, and the outer skin gets swollen.
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Toe Fungus Fast At Home
Soak Your Feet In Vinegar
Heres another pantry item that can deliver optimal results for toenail fungal infections. According to Hayag, applying white vinegar to the fungal-infected areas can prove worthwhile, thanks to its antibacterial properties.
Similar to oregano oil, applying white vinegar topically on fungus-infected toenails has some anecdotal evidence that supports its antibacterial benefits. Soak your foot in one part vinegar to two parts warm water for up to 20 minutes daily, she suggests, saying that this can help with the fungus, help with just the discoloration, or it may not help at all, depending on how your toes react.
The Dangers Of Using Bleach On Your Body
Bleach is a common household cleaning product. Its often used to remove color from fabrics, remove mold or mildew, or to sanitize dirty surfaces. When used on your body or skin, however, it can cause serious problems. According to the Asian Journal of Research in Dermatological Science, using bleach on toenail fungus can actually cause infection and irritation to the skin and nail. Irritation, such as a rash or burning sensation, is especially common if you have sensitive skin. Other common complications include:
- Burns: If bleach is applied to the skin, it can cause a chemical burn. The burn can appear as red welts, and the skin may be irritated and painful.
- Allergic reactions: Similar to irritation, an allergic reaction can be triggered by applying bleach to the skin.
Recommended Reading: How To Treat Yellow Nail Fungus
Making The Vinegar Foot Soak
Vinegar will not hurt your feet, but you should still dilute it for a foot soak. Generally, using 1-part vinegar to 2-parts water is a good ratio. If youre tolerating the diluted vinegar soaks, and not noticing any difference, you can use a stronger soak.
While the soak will smell strong, the odor will dissipate after the vinegar dries from your feet. You can also use essential oils to change the scent slightly.
Here Are Some Other Conditions You May Have Instead Of Fungal Nails:
Don’t Miss: Does Vinegar Help With Toe Fungus