What Are Causes Of Nail Fungus
The majority of cases of nail fungus happen as a consequence of the fungi causing athletes foot which infect the nails. Those fungi usually live harmlessly on the human skin however, they could sometimes multiply and cause infections. Fungi prefer dark, warm, and moist environment like the feet.
You will be more likely to suffer from a nail fungus if you:
- Wear shoes which cause the feet to get sweaty and hot
- Dont keep the feet clean and dry
- Walk around on barefoot in the places where fungus could spread easily, like locked rooms, gyms, and communal showers
- Have a weaken immunity
- Have damaged nails before
- Have some other health issues like psoriasis, diabetes, peripheral arterial disease
Remember that nail fungus could be spread to other individuals, so you had better take necessary steps to avoid transferring it to others.
When Should I Call The Doctor
In rare cases, toenail fungus can cause an infection called cellulitis. Without prompt treatment, cellulitis may pose a serious danger to your health.
You should seek treatment guidance from a trusted healthcare provider if you have:
- Circulation problems.
- Redness, pain or pus near the toenail.
- Weakened immune system.
The Best Way To Stop Each Foot And Toenail Fungus
Whereas toenail fungus and foot fungus arent the identical situation, the next ideas may also help you stop each, says Sundling:
- Apply good hygiene, similar to holding your ft clear.
- Alternate your footwear through the week. Your ft sweat all day lengthy. Alternating your footwear permits them to dry out, so the fungus cant survive.
- Put on moisture-wicking socks that assist dry out footwear and kill fungus. Youll find these at operating shops and athletic shops. In case your socks are exceptionally sweaty, altering them greater than as soon as per day may also help.
- Put on footwear in public locations like locker rooms, swimming pools, and gymnasiums to restrict publicity to fungus.
- Keep wholesome to keep up an excellent immune system to battle off fungal an infection.
- Put on footwear that match properly most individuals put on footwear which are too tight and so they dont notice it.
- Use over-the-counter sprays or powders that assist dry out footwear and kill fungus.
- Maintain your pores and skin dry, and dont neglect to dry between the toes after bathing, exercising, or sweating. Lots of people dont dry between the toes, so the pores and skin stays moist, which may result in an infection.
Also Check: How To Naturally Get Rid Of Fungus Toenails
Tips For Prevention Of Fungal Nails
Nail fungus causes only 50% of abnormal-appearing nails. It can be hard to tell the difference between the different causes of discolored nails . Onychomycosis is often not treated. Reasons to receive treatment include
No one knows where a specific person catches the fungus, as it is everywhere. However, since the fungus does thrive in warm moist areas , there are certain areas one should avoid or use with caution. Shower floors, locker rooms, and swimming pools are suspected of being sources of the fungus, although there are no studies proving this fact. Nail polish and acrylic nails also make the nail less “breathable” and make the nail more susceptible to fungal infection. Fungi are everywhere — in the air, the dust, and the soil. Hygienic measures such as spraying socks and footgear sound sensible, and perhaps these measures can even help a little bit. However, avoiding tight, nonbreathing shoes or steering clear of athletic facility floors may very well be the best prevention available. Daily washing of the feet and drying between the toes can help to prevent nail fungus. The fungi carried on the coats of pets, like cats and dogs, don’t often cause nail fungus. Wearing white socks does not help.
Useful Tips On How To Remove Nail Fungus At Home
If your nails are crumbling, thick and yellow, black or white in color, you might have nail fungus. In such case, you can consider using vinegar as one of homemade tips on how to remove nail fungus. Vinegar possesses antifungal properties and might destroy fungal infections. It is also effective in treating athletes foot, foot fungus, and fungus of the nails . According to MayoClinic.com, vinegar might inhibit the bacteria growth on our feet. Soaking in vinegar is a home treatment that might not work for everybody, especially if your problem is severe. You can also use apple cider vinegar as a replacement for vinegar.
However, remember that being an acidic substance, vinegar might cause skin irritation, particularly if you use it to soak your feet in daily. What you need to do is:
- Take 1 part of vinegar to mix with 3 parts of water
- Soak your feet in the vinegar for about 20 minutes
- After that, rinse it off with water and dry your nails completely
Note: because fungus grows in warm, wet environments, so you should keep your feet as dry as you could.
- Mix 4 oz. of vinegar with 2 tablespoons of pau darco tincture, 1/8 teaspoon of peppermint oil, ¼ teaspoon of lavender oil
- Soak a clean cloth in this mixture
- Apply the cloth directly on your affected nails for 3 times per day to see good results
Method 3: How to remove nail fungus by consuming vinegar:
Method 4: Apple cider vinegar and baking soda
Don’t Miss: How To Stop Fungus On Toenails
Protect Your Feet In Public
You can lock down your home against fungus rather easily, but the world is another matter. Fungus thrives in warm, damp, moist environments, and there are plenty of them out there with a lot of foot traffic.
If you are going to high risk areas such as gyms, locker rooms, and public pools, you need to keep your feet protected. A pair of sandals oreven bettershower shoes will provide a good amount of cover in the worst of it.
Of course, wash your feet well after your time in a shower room or pool, and make sure they are fully dry before you put socks and shoes back on.
When To See A Doctor About Toenail Fungus
If you are experiencing persistent toenail fungus or pain is present, you may need to see a specialist. A dermatologist or podiatrist may be able to assess your symptoms and send a small sample of the affected toenail or flesh to a laboratory to be analyzed as there are various types of fungi and yeasts that cause onychomycosis. Knowing the specific cause of your foot fungus can help identify what route to take to treat your condition.
Nail changes can also be caused by underlying conditions, like psoriasis and diabetes, so its important to seek professional medical advice if your condition persists or worsens. Bacterial and fungal infection of skin in diabetes patients often result in hospital admissions, and in severe cases, can result in amputations. If you are at a higher risk for infection, you should skip home remedies and seek professional medical treatment.
You May Like: How To Use Vicks For Toenail Fungus
Remedies And Treatments For Toenail Fungus
Antifungal remedies help to stop the growth of the fungus. Over-the-counter options do not claim to cure toenail fungus, but they can help to improve the look of the affected nail. These products do not work as well as prescription medications. To cure toenail fungus, a remedy has to penetrate the nail and nail bed. Most over-the-counter remedies for nail fungus are topical and do not penetrate deeply enough.
Trim, Buff, and Thin the Affected Nail
Keeping your nails trim, buffed, and clean helps to prevent the spread of the fungus to other nails. Additionally, buffing the nail can allow topical antifungals to penetrate more deeply. Make sure to wash your hands promptly after touching the affected nail, especially before touching other nails.
Vicks VapoRub is a product marketed for people with coughs. However, it may also be effective against toenail fungus. One small study showed that after applying it topically each day for 48 weeks, 27.8% of participants fully cured their nail fungus â and 55.6% of participants saw partial improvement. However, more study is needed.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil comes from the Australian tea tree. It is an essential oil traditionally used as an antibacterial and antifungal treatment. Early research shows that it may help with nail fungus when used topically. However, more research is needed. If you do use tea tree oil for toenail fungus, only use it topically.
Your Choices For Treating Foot Fungus
To deal with foot fungus, you have got the next over-the-counter and prescription choices:
- Use an over-the-counter or prescription antifungal cream. For most individuals the fungus ought to go away simply, and also you may have the ability to self-treat, says Sundling. I tell patients to buy the over-the-counter cream because its cheaper and it works just as well, she says. In case you have a really extreme case, you may get antifungal lotions with steroids blended in these are prescription solely, she provides. See a podiatrist in case you have a foot fungus thats not going away, as it will possibly unfold to different elements of your physique.
- Take oral treatment. You too can take terbinafine for 2 weeks . Medical doctors dont typically prescribe oral treatment for a fungal an infection of the pores and skin until its a very extreme case, explains Sundling.
You May Like: How To Stop Fungus From Spreading
How To Safely Remove A Damaged Toenail
If you have a damaged toenail, you might be tempted to remove it yourself. But while damaged toenails sometimes fall off on their own, its not a good idea to force that process.
Removing a damaged toenail yourself could lead to serious complications that end up making matters worse.
In many cases, these conditions can be treated without removing the nail. A doctor can determine the cause and full scope of the problem and help you understand all your options.
Lets go over the reasons you shouldnt remove a toenail on your own, as well as the method a doctor will use, and what to expect after the procedure.
Cause Of Toenail Fungus
Onychomycosis can be caused by the overgrowth of certain fungi, such as dermatophytes and yeast, in your toenail. The fungal spores may be airborne or live naturally on the skin and find their way to your foot or toenail.
The fungi thrive in warm and humid conditions. So, if your feet remain damp or sweaty, these microbes will multiply rapidly and give rise to an infection.
Any crack or tear in the skin or nail can provide the fungi entry into the deeper tissue. They sustain themselves by feeding on the nail tissue, and they slowly penetrate the skin under the enamel.
As the fungal debris collects under the nail enamel, it starts to thicken and rise above the nail bed. This damaged and discolored part of the nail will not heal and reattach to the nail bed again but will eventually grow out.
Common symptoms of toenail fungus include the following:
- The infected toenail gradually becomes thick and turns yellow, brown, or white.
- Since the infection weakens the nail, it may develop cracks.
- There is generally no pain, but the infection becomes progressively severe.
- In some cases, toenail fungus may be accompanied by athleteâs foot, which is also a fungal skin infection that affects the foot, especially the area between the toes.
Recommended Reading: How To Heal Fungus On Toenails
Preventative Steps To Take
While you cant always help your risk factors for toenail fungus, there are some preventive steps you can take:
- Bring your own sterilized instruments, such as nail clippers, to a nail salon.
- Keep your toenails short and clean to prevent nail trauma that can lead to cracking. If you have difficulty trimming your own toenails, your doctor may recommend seeing a podiatrist to help.
- Dont share personal care items like fingernail clippers or pumice stones with another person.
- Throw away or treat potentially infected footwear.
- Wear clean socks and wash socks after use.
- Wear sandals when walking in a locker room, public shower, or any other places where fungus is likely to grow.
Toenail fungal infections have a high rate of recurrence, even after youve treated them. Thats why its important to couple treatment measures with preventive ones to give yourself the best chance for keeping your toenails healthy in appearance.
Stop This Skin Infection In Its Tracks With These Over
Our editors independently research, test, and recommend the bestproducts, and articles are reviewed by healthcare professionals for medical accuracy. Youcan learn more about ourreview process here.We may receive commissions on purchases made from our chosen links.
Verywell Health / Sabrina Jiang
Toenail fungus is a common fungal condition that often starts after a rash on the foot spreads to the nails. When mild, it looks like white and yellow spots growing under the nail beds. But if left untreated, the fungus can grow severely by hardening the nails and spreading to other toes.
The fungus often begins in the form of athlete’s foot between the toes or on the soles of the feet. At this stage, the fungal infection is easier to treat with over-the-counter medication. But Shari Lipner, MD, a board-certified dermatologist at New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medicine, told Verywell Health toenail fungus can be difficult to treat because of how slow the nails grow. The more severe the toenail fungus, the thicker the nail, and the more nails involved makes it that much harder to treat the nails even with effective therapies, she says.
Diagnosing the fungal infection early is key to make treatments effective. Dr. Lipner recommends visiting a board-certified dermatologist to properly treat the infection if it grows to be too severe.
Here are a few of the best over-the-counter toenail fungus treatments on the market.
Recommended Reading: Does Laser Work For Nail Fungus
Foot Fungus: Causes And Risk Factors
A foot fungus is a fungal infection of the skin, better known as athletes foot, says Sundling. The fungus enters through cracks in the skin. Its known as athletes foot because athletes or anyone who is more active and sweats a lot is more at risk. Kids are also more at risk, because they dont tend to wear different shoes, and changing your shoes is one way to avoid foot fungus.
Foot fungus is very common. It does not mean that someone is dirty or didnt bathe, and if you have a compromised immune system, you may be more susceptible, says Sundling.
Dangers Of Using Bleach For Toenail Fungus
Bleach may actually cause toenail fungus to worsen and increase the likelihood of a toenail infection.
According to an article in the Asian Journal of Research in Dermatological Science, use of topical bleach can increase the risks for fungal infections because it can damage the skin and nails. This allows opportunistic fungus to come in through the damaged skin or nail and cause an infection.
Recommended Reading: Does Iodine Kill Toenail Fungus
Side Effects Of Toenail Fungus Medication
One of the many benefits of using a homeopathic remedy is that there are little to no adverse side effects. Topical treatments often prescribed to treat toenail fungus can potentially burn or blister the skin. Oral medications for treating onychomycosis can cause liver or gastrointestinal damage. Be sure to read your medications list of potential side effects. Consult your pharmacist, physician, or specialist if you are concerned about side effects of prescription drugs.
Creams & Topical Treatments For Toenail Fungus
Over-the-counter fungal creams like clotrimazole dont work well for treating toenail fungus. Prescription nail polishes are available, but they take longer to work and arent effective for severe cases. Thats because they dont penetrate the nail very well. That said, they are still a good option for people with mild cases of toenail fungus, or for those who cant take the oral antifungals. Examples include:
Side effects are usually minor and include redness or burning at the application site.
You might hear or read about medicated chest rub as a treatment for toenail fungus, but its mostly hype. Its a tempting option because its so safe, easy to use, and cheap. But its not likely to help.
Read Also: Where To Buy Tea Tree Oil For Nail Fungus
When To See A Bethesda Md Or Springfield Va Podiatrist
If you try several of these remedies and see no results, its time to see a podiatrist. Toenail fungus is notoriously stubborn, so dont be too surprised if home remedies dont quite work. It can also take quite a long time for these home remedies to work because you have to continue doing them consistently until the new nail has fully grown out.
If youve tried the homeopathic route and arent satisfied with the results, you can always come see Bethesda, MD & Springfield, VA Podiatrist, Dr. Paul Ross! If you have moderate to severe foot fungus, it is recommended that you see a doctor anyway because there can be complications if the infection is left untreated. Call us at . We offer same day appointments if you dont want to wait.
Our Bethesda, Maryland and Springfield, Virginia Podiatry offices offer the most effective and state-of-the-art, quality podiatry care services with a smile to patients in our local community, including: Woodbridge VA, Fairfax VA, Annandale VA, Arlington VA, Alexandria VA, Burke VA, Gaithersburg MD, Potomac MD, Silver Spring MD, Rockville MD and Chevy Chase MD.
Return to a pain-free life and get back to the things you love!